Friday, 20 March 2015

Yoga for sports, business professionals, construction workers ......it's more than just chanting



In a world that is always moving, changing and throwing up new challenges, how do we as individuals stay grounded?

As a yoga instructor I am constantly looking for new ways to apply the practice to different aspects of everyday living. This perspective has provided me with some valuable lessons.


Yoga has changed (revolutionised) my life, it has helped me through a very difficult illness, An autoimmunity illness called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).

I'm only 33 myself and see people my age and much younger dealing with harsh times. I do recommend yoga to people who may need it, but I'm often met with the response of 'isn't that for hippies' or 'I don't want to sit around chanting....... This preconceived view of yoga is something I encounter on regular basis.
I have tried to explain the benefits of yoga and encourage interest in the practice, I've used a enthusiastic approach, a serious approach, a kind approach, a casual approach and so on......

However the main lesson I have learnt refers to that old saying 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink'
I would never say that my encouragement is wasted, there is always a percentage of people that will embrace a new things, But how do we change a way of thinking that is so established.

When approached by sporting individuals I often refer to the lessons as core conditioning or stretch and tone. I never mean to steer around the word Yoga, but by using a different terminology the practice offers an appeal to those who would never usually try it.  Yoga has become popular with many of the younger professional athletes. Many actually rely on the physical process, However it is the breath control, focus and emotion composure it offers that seems to draw the professionals in.

After a number of 'core conditioning' sessions once an understanding of the breathing, poses and focus has been established, many of my students begin to open up and wish to know more about yoga.
Would the practice encourage a larger following if more of the top athletes, entrepreneurs and high flying business executives were more vocal about practicing yoga?

Whilst my quest to change the preconceived view continues. and while I search for those professionals that engaged in the practice.  I will just say this. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do....... yoga is for and will benefit everyone!









No comments:

Post a Comment