Saturday, 21 March 2015

Naked Selfies.......Once it's out there it will always be out there!


Many.... many years ago I lost a little integrity.......luckily camera phones and internet networking were still a distant dream.

Let me tell you the before 9pm watershed version.
I was young and looking forward to life's adventures.... That amazing stage of life where the worlds your oyster, you believe nothing can harm you..... and you're.....completely...... inexperienced, unworldly and naive!

I had a boyfriend (he had access to his mums car... he was a real catch). I was dressed up to look years older than I was, ready to hit the town and completely underage
You can see where this is going... drunk....kissing (and other stuff).... naked on a dance floor.....with an audience of 30 young men. I was rescued by a very good friend, dressed and sent home in a taxi.
It took me 10 years not to cringe at that memory and a few more to allow myself to laugh about it.

I would be mortified if I suddenly found a video on line of the cringe worthy event.
I was lucky nothing transpired from it, there is no physical evidence and I don't wake up in the night with cold sweats!

I look back now and I know I had no real understanding of what I was portraying that night in the club, I never thought of the dangers it could put me in, the message I was giving to the people around me, or that it could of affected me later in life. I was so happy to be getting attention, I felt attractive and before I sobered up I felt pretty confident about myself.

The nature of my business means I am networking through the internet everyday, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc....... And everyday with out fail I see a 'selfie' of a young female hardly dressed.... showing off her...... assets!

I know why these girls are posting these pictures. The reasons vary, many being only half aware do it for a boost in confidence and self esteem. They get comments like your fit, hot and get offered some lewd gesture. It feeds a need for attention and in a roundabout way they get some self worth.
It upsets me that confidence is lacking in people so young and instead of promoting real talent and abilities, girls are desperate to feel better about their image. Girls use this technique to bring about fame.... people seem desperate to be famous but not famous for anything of real substance.

I do have to show a fair view, because some reasons for these selfies are actually quite important.
If you are training and in to fitness, a comment on your physic offers encouragement and motivation. Others aspire to look and look after themselves better. And I should just say this at this point. Health and fitness requires work and dedication not some new tablet that makes you shed pounds!

Whilst these girls (and some boys) post these pictures for reasons that in themselves seem valid, The message it may give to the receiver may not be the one that is desired. It could bring about some very unwanted, unsafe attention.

Some glamour models are very intelligent, driven and excellent business people, Katie Price is a good example of this. But you don't ever look at a naked women and think I bet she can balance my taxes!

Once you post a compromising picture or video on the internet, It will always be on the internet.
And while at the age of 18 this gets you a particular type of attention, when you're 30 and trying to establish and maintain a business or career, would this kind of attention aid or harm your goals.

One more thing.... fluttering your eyelashes every now and again is a powerful tool and one that I have been known to use, but I wouldn't like to knowingly compromise my integrity again like I did all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment